Publication Date: 2016 (updated)
This section covers the technical guidance contained in Part M (Approved Document M) of schedule 1 of the Building Regulations with the requirements with respect to Access to and use of buildings.
Approved Document M (Access to and use of buildings) has been divided into two parts:
This 2015 edition of Approved Document M (Access to and use of buildings) – Volume 1: Dwellings only covers dwellings and contains updated guidance. In particular, it introduces three categories of dwellings:
- Category 1 – Visitable dwellings
- Category 2 – Accessible and adaptable dwellings
- Category 3 – Wheelchair user dwellings
Categories two and three are linked to the need for planning consent, a significant change in the way the legislation now works.
Discover the accessible housing policy and Supplementary Planning Guidance
- The planning policy is in the Sites and Policies Plan Part 1 Development Management Policies 2016
- The SPD describes the housing need for disabled households in North Somerset and requirements for developers.
To obtain a copy in an alternative format or language
Please write to:
Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government
2 Marsham Street
Telephone: 0191 244 5557 (mail order)
Email: Contact form